T3 cytomel effects

Common Questions and Answers about T3 cytomel effects

cytomel

Avatar f tn 2 mg levothroxine but recently my doc. added 25 mcg of cytomel. My T3 levels went extremely high and TSH less then 0.5. I have been extemely ill - headaches, chills, sweats, light head, dizzy, naseau, anxiety. My doc has stopped the cytomel. My questions are: 1. How long does it take for the thryoid levels to return back to where they were. And how long do these symptoms last. 2. Was 25 mcg of cytomel a normal amount to add to 0.2 mg of levothroxine..
988694 tn?1332359479 Does anybody know a T3 only medicine without fillers? I was added Cytomel and my NT was reduced to 2 grains due to RT3. So far feeling awful, but I am more concern, despite all the pain and discomfort I am in, about Cytomel causing me allergies. My nose is itching and I have been sneezing. I had a similar episode a couple of years ago and I quit it. I cannot do compound pharmacy since I have to travel and it is too much trouble. Any idea about an existent hypoallergenic T3 only medicine?
1369218 tn?1282423884 Cytomel (T3 med) tends to suppress TSH, which is why TSH is not a good indicator of whether or not a person is hyper - again, I'll refer to myself, with a TSH of < 0.01....... If you think you have a heart issue, by all means see a cardiologist. I had palps, rapid heart rate as well, when I first started cytomel, but once I got used to it, and my levels stabilized, those went away. I did get sent to a cardiologist for a complete work up on my heart, just to be sure..
Avatar f tn 2 mg levothroxine but recently my doc. added 25 mcg of cytomel. My T3 levels went extremely high and TSH less then 0.5. I have been extemely ill - headaches, chills, sweats, light head, dizzy, naseau, anxiety. My doc has stopped the cytomel. My questions are: 1. How long does it take for the thryoid levels to return back to where they were. And how long do these symptoms last. 2. Was 25 mcg of cytomel a normal amount to add to 0.2 mg of levothroxine..
909086 tn?1242660764 The last time I had my blood work done was about 4 months ago. My TSH was at 1.55 after being on the 112mcg of Synthroid for about a year and the 25mcg of Cytomel for about 4 weeks. I don't know my T4 and T3 numbers. The reference ranges that my lab uses for TSH are 0.4 - 4.0 I have my next appointment with my doc in 2 weeks, so I won't have any new labs until then. I do in fact take the 25mcg of Cytomel all at once.
Avatar f tn When I first had my TT last year, I tried the Synthroid without the Cytomel and sis terribly.. now that I added the T3.. its working good. I feel better now than I have in a very long time!! Even on the Armour! Hope this helps!
Avatar f tn Here are my results for reference.. Free triiodothyronine 4.5 RANGE 3.5-6.5 Senstitve TSH 1.37 RANGE 0.35-5.00 Free T4 16 RANGE 9-23 ANTI -PO 48 HI RANGE <35 ANTI-TG <20 RANGE <40 ANTINUCLEAR ANTIBODY POSITIVE TITRE 1:320 HI ANA PATTERN Speckled and homogeneous pattern My doctor really wants me to up my dose of T3 (cytomel) because I am low in it. But I can't go any higher than 5mcg. I take it by splitting it in half through the day, so its 2.5mcg in the morning and then 2.
Avatar f tn ll get past these side-effects I will keep taking the Cytomel. Do people commonly have these types of side effects at first? Do they usually subside?
Avatar f tn So when you go in for your annual check-up, you should request testing for thyroid function. Specifically ask for free T3, free T4 and TSH. Note that free T3 and free T4 are not the same as total T3 and total T4. the tests for totals are somewhat obsolete and not very useful compared to the Frees. If the doctor resists testing for FT3 and FT4, then you should insist on it and don't take no for an answer. Remember that you are the customer.
Avatar n tn Cytomel is a fast acting T3 so symptoms of hunger and energy may be experienced. I am on Armour thyroid and have been on it for 6 mths. Armour has a balance of all the T's and I notice that my appetite has increased.
Avatar n tn And Is it possible to just add Cytomel in while taking the Armour. I am on 120mg now of Armour and have no side effects. I have taken as much as 240mg and still not side effects. Can you suggest what to do?
Avatar f tn Combined with your low Free T3 this means your ratio of Free T3 to Reverse T3 is only .7 (2.6 times 10 divided by 38). The general recommendation is that the ratio should be at least 1.8, so your ratio is way too low. I am very skeptical that the high RT3 is solely due to flu/bronchitis. If you look at Recommendation 9, starting on page 12 of the following link you will find some useful info on RT3, including some potential causes for excess levels.
5133140 tn?1364525169 I have been taking Armour Thyroid (T4 + T3 med), along with Cytomel, for over two months now. I have been taking 2 gains of Armour, total of 120 mg, and 15 mcg of the Cytomel. With my new script I will be taking 20 mcg of Cytomel. Since T3 acts so much faster than T4, it is usually best to split your T3 med and take half in the morning and half in the early afternoon. This is not a hard and fast rule.
Avatar f tn been on cytomel 1month. tsh gone down to .27, t3 2.9, t4 1.23, reverse t3 13.5. should i go down to 75 mcg synthroid or stay at 88. i feel good!
Avatar f tn I have taken Cytomel or a generic for a number of years without any identified issue with it. From what I have read Cytomel is the only med with no known side effects. The symptoms that people report when taking it are most likely due to inadequate levels of Free T4 and/or Free T3, low B12, low D, or low ferritin. And of course you are now aware of the need for cortisol levels to be optimal, in order to successfully take T3 meds.
1376367 tn?1319226427 In the past I had been on T3 Cytomel which was fast acting and I took it 2 times @ day along with my Synthroid medication. This worked short term and then I developed problems so my doctor sent me to an Endocrinologist. I shared this experience with the doctor from Seattle and I also had to stop the Cytomel because the side effects were terrible. So back to strictly just Synthroid and I have not felt well. That change happened last October and since then I had a complete hysterectomy Jan.
765572 tn?1234697366 Levothyroxine is the generic for synthroid, which is a T4 med only - those 2 can be interchangeable, but some people do better on one or the other. Cytomel is a T3 only med. Armour is a natural thyroid hormone which has both T4 and T3. T3 is a very short lived hormone - only lasts a few hours and often works best to split the dosage over the day. The body has to convert T4 into T3 in order to benefit. A lot of people do not have a problem making this conversion but others do.
Avatar f tn Adrenal issues should be addressed before thyroid, so you may have to back off on the thyroid med until you get the adrenal issue under control. The nausea could be, either, the additional T3 med or the HC. Side effects often go away once the body gets used to the medication.
Avatar f tn I am on both levothyroxin (generic synthroid) and cytomel as well. I agree with Laura that it depends on your free t4 and free t3 levels. Good luck and glad to hear you feel so good.
Avatar f tn Hi, I need some help! Can I come off cytomel cold turnkey without side effects? My primary doctor put me on cytomel for chronic fatique/depression. He started me on 25mcg. I felt better so he increased to 50mcg. I said to him at my last appt that it didn't seem to be working and he said we'd go to 75mcg. He said "we can go to 100mcg and then we'll check your thyroid sometime".
Avatar f tn Armour should have its own ratio of T4/T3. I would doubt you need to supplement that with Cytomel (T3 synthetic) also? As far as the aching, I am not on T3, but have Hashi's and am Hypo. My legs, back and chest ache quite a bit. I am hoping after my levels are dialed in, this will go away. These are all symptoms of being Hypo. It can take a Loooong time to get regulated, so try to be patient and stick with what you think feels right. Keep me in the loop, as I would love to hear more.
Avatar n tn T4 meds convert to T3, which is the thyroid hormone we need. Cytomel is a T3 only meds. I have shortness of breath, too. My tests show I'm hypo....and I was on Naturethroid, only 1/2 gr. Naturethroid is a T3/T4 meds. My tests also show I'm "reversing", which is that my T4 is converting to reverse T3, which blocks my T3 receptors, giving me NO T3. You go by your Free T3 to RT3 ratio. You divide your RT3 number into your Free T3 number, and it should be 20 or over.