Angiogram risks

Common Questions and Answers about Angiogram risks

angiogram

You better check with your doctors, I am not sure about the potential damage due to the radiation dose that you will take during the procedure. Also if they discover blockages in your coronaries, I do not know about the risk of the medication that you will need.
I am scheduled for Angiogram in few days time. I have very positive hunch that I am perfectly ok. Should I go for this Invasive procedure with possible risks of it. I am very positive that if I get few more months before this test my heart would be able to recover to almost a healthy heart. My Doctor says he does not want to wait as this is a serious condition. Please advise what is the correct step at this time. Thanks.
I am quite freaked out. So I am scheduled for an angiogram on Feb 5th. They tell me there are risks in this test. The risk is 1 in 1000 people die, stroke or have a heart attack during this proceedure. My question is this, Should I get a 64-slice Coronary CT Angiograph​y? This machine has no risk and will give them the same answers. This test is not covered by our health care insurance. It will cost me $1300. I am not opposed to paying that extra money to eliminate risk. What are your opinions?
It's the same with an Angiogram, you could die, but this is highly unlikely to happen. The risks are just too small to worry about it. Even if something did go wrong, there is a team of experts in the cath lab with you, ready to deal with any circumstance. For example, I had 5 stents in one procedure and the blockage involved was a solid mass of calcium. The catheter slipped and went through the artery wall, causing me to bleed internally.
Some people would be in agony with your blockage while others wouldn't notice it because other branches are feeding into the area. May I ask why they did an angiogram in the first place?
It's hard to imagine how it could gven that a CT-A is a non-invasive diagnostic, requiring only an injection of a small dose of contrast through an IV. The main risks are the long term risk of the high radiation dose received (cancer) and allergy to the contract, which could cause kidney damage. The risks too the heart are nil.
hello, my mom is 72 years old, she is type2 diabetic, hyper tensive and have ischemic heart disease, she has been adviced to go through angiogram and shunting after that. how safte it is for her,with her health background? will she survive after that, is it a dangerous procedure?
He has just been fitted for new glasses and he is scheduled for a Fluroscien Angiogram in two days. His eye pressure has been relatively OK, fluctuating from 16 to 23. It had gone up to 31 when he was taken off of the Acular LS, Lotemax and Azopt. He is presently back on these drops TID. How safe is this procedure and is it not too soon for my father to have it done?
They are decided that it was the smoking, the OCPs and me being overweight were the causes of my stroke.. although NOW, my neurosurgeon is recommending a CATHETER ANGIOGRAM. I have read up on this diagnostic tool... and i am quite afraid to give my consent on this... I already had MRA.. why is my doctor recommending catheter angiogram??? Should i give my consent??? This discussion is related to <a href='http://www.medhelp.
Hi, I wanted to find out how much radiation is involved in a traditional angiogram. I've had multiple nuclear tests done in the last 10 years with two nuclear stress tests within the last three. I continue to get chest pain in heat and with exertion and am convinced that I should push my doctors for a traditional angio. Wanted to find out how much radiation dosage is involved in that. What are the risks involved in getting that test? I'm a 40 year old female.
The doctor did not mention the seal. I know there are risks with an angiogram, but I am still concerned about the glue they are going to inject to repair the artery, will it will hold ? I hate the idea of him having to go through another angiogram to have the glue injected. I wish it would have been done when they went back in to find the problem. I am also concerned about the final outcome Will the artery be weak?
My doctor has recommended I get a 64 slice CT angiogram to further diagnose what is going on. Are there risks associated with this test? Do you feel it is appropriate in this case? Is it unusual to have blockage when HDL is as high as my LDL? Could the cardiac scoring test be showing something else or be a "false positive?
My doctor is obviously recommending an angiogram to rule out/in a blockage, but I just cannot understand how this is possible. I'm terrified of the angiogram and its risks, and the possibility of a stent just doesn't compute (my father was 70 when he got his stent, how am I possibly getting one at 39?!) Part of me wants it to be a blockage so that I will finally have a definitive diagnosis. If it's not a blockage, then what could this be?
I had 4 baby asprins while I was in the ER, and then when I was admitted, they gave me two shots in the stomach (a blod thinner), before I went under for the angiogram. There was about 24 hours lapse time since the ER and the angiogram. I doubt I answered your question about the stents taking or not. I can at lest tell you they did have me on blood thinners. Which is what baby asprin will do.
Im scheduled for a ct angiogram for shortness of breath with dizzyness.i saw a differnet cardiologist for a second opinion and he feels its ideal because of the ongoing shortness of breath im experiencing with meals and excersis. In the past iv had three ct scans for other health reasons not heart related. my concerns are iv had three ct scans and this next one makes it four, The amount of just one ct scan is tolerated by the body but 4 ct scans sounds excesive to me and so im really concerned.
I usually go to a cardiologist in another city. But my cardiologist could not perform my scheduled angiogram. My symptoms before this angiogram were chest pain with exertion of any kind. After this angiogram, I have had blood pressure problems, breathing problems, dry cough, shortness of breath and all the other symptoms that my cardiologist wanted me to do an angiogram for. He had said that if I needed an other stent put in. I would need a bypass even though I have small vessels.
Has anybody out there had any side effects or complications from the angiogram test, the cardiac catherization? Please let me know if you have had any.
18, Soft plaques seen in proximal LAD and D1 segment. ....You had a CT angiogram and included is a separate procedure a calcium score. The CT angiogram views the channel (lumen) of the vessels for any hard plaque buildup that would cause a narrowing of the vessel for blood flow and if serious could cause symptoms of chest pain, etc. Soft plaque resides between the layers of the vessel To add what others have said.
So, again an echo can do this, or an angiogram. 64 slice + echo are the safest procedures. Angiogram is invasive so carries risks, such as bleeding, maybe the need for a transfusion. If the catheter wire penetrates a vessel wall, you could be sent for immediate surgery. A piece of plaque could be dislodged, causing stroke or heart attack or death. The risk is still low, but you have to sign a consent form for these possibilities.
I believe that the amount of radiation exposure is much higher with ct over a standard angiogram. Everyone talks about risks, but if you want clear results, an angiogram is the best option. If your CT shows a blockage, you will have to go for an angiogram anyway. The risks are very small indeed with an angiogram.
The neurosurgeon has ordered a cerebral angiogram, and I'm a little freaked out about it. I've googled it and understand the technique, but I'd love to hear from someone who has had one what it's like from the patient's perspective. Anyone? Thanks in advance!!
As per my cardiologist, the locations of blockagesf in my artries are already known from my angiogram at the time of stenting. Therefore, he feels that CT angiogram will not give any additional information. A stress thallium will tell us if any of the current blockages are increasing. I assume your preference for stress thallium is also based on same logic?
They have done many EKGs, stress testings but found nothing. My doctors are reluctant to do a Angiogram due to the risk. They feel that it is not likely for me to have a heart issue since if I did I probably wouldn't survived for so long. But for me, all my symptoms points towards a heart problem. I can't do anything physical for too long without feeling fatigued and I have constant chest discomfort.
I recently decided in looking into getting a large hemangioma removed from my right buttock. I have had a CT scan done, multiple x-rays, and i think its called an angiogram done where they put an artificial embolism in the main blood vessel feeding it to prevent it from bleeding too much during the operation and to stop the bleeding that was currently occurring and wasn't stopping. The Dr.
However, to answer your questions, the angiogram is very safe as far as invasive procedures go. The biggest risks are stroke and heart attack, but for this to happen the cardiologist would basically have to disturb a chunk of blockage material in the arteries with his catheter wire. It isn't really about odds, are you the likely or unlikely odd? It's about your symptoms and ruling out cardiac issues. As far as I'm aware, there are benefits to either a CT or standard angiogram.
I went to a heart specialist who ran an EKG and then asked me to come in for a radionuclide stress test. The doctor then told me that I need a heart catherization and angiogram and depending on what they find, they may need to do the baloon procedure or even a bypass surgery.
Normal stress echo, echo, blood work, holter monitor, ekgs, and event monitor besides PVC's and SVT. They want me to have a 64 slice ct angiogram tomorrow and I just had a 64 slice heart CT for heart calcium scoring, which was negative. My questions are is 1.Is it dangerous for me to have that type of CT scan when I just had one, how bad is the radiation exposure, what type of risks? 2.
I have had an ECG stress test and a Myoview scan, both of which have shown an abnormal result. I now have to decide whether to have an angiogram but am worried about the risks involved. My cardiologist doesn't seem to think that any problems I have are too severe and that in fact there's a chance that both tests could be giving false positive results. I wondered whether cardiac MRI or cardiac computed tomography are a viable alternative to an angiogram ? Any advice would be appreciated.
53 yr old female, former smoker, cholesterol 118, HDL 27,Trig 99,VLDL 20, LDL-CAL 71, overweight, cannot exercise due to shattered bones in foot. Had new 64 slice ct coronary angiogram. Cardiologist that read the report stated that he is new at reading this (hospital has only done the tests on paying patients for 1 week). He reported RCA; technically a dominant vessel which is free of significant disease in its proximal course.
MedHelp Health Answers